News

Western Australia Most Popular With Overseas Workers

Overseas migration continues to fuel Western Australia’s population growth, accounting for nearly two thirds of the state’s growth.

Figures from the Australian Bureau of Statistics state, more people are moving to Western Australia from overseas than any other part of the country, accounting for 63% of the area’s total growth in the year to the end of March 2013.

Western Australia’s population nudged 2.5 million people at the end of March 2013 and grew at an annual rate of 3.4% or 82, 600 people.

In contrast, the lowest growth rate in Australia was in Tasmania, where the population increased by just 0.1% or 600 people to reach 512,900 people.

Net overseas migration added 238,300 people to Australia’s population in the year to March 2013, this is around the five yearly average. They are now seeing migration climbing steadily to rates last seen in 2009, though it’s still well below the record high of 316,000 in 2008.

After Western Australia, the state with the biggest population growth was the Australian Capital Territory with growth of 2.2%, followed closely by Queensland with growth of 2%, and Victoria and the Northern Territory both recording population growth of 1.8%.

Overall, Australia’s population reached 23 million at the end of March 2013, and grew by an annual rate of 1.8% or 397,400 people. Net overseas migration accounted for 60% of Australia’s growth, with the remaining 40% due to natural increase.

Victoria had the highest natural increase for the year ending 31 March 2013, growing by 7.8% or 3,000 people, compared to the previous year. Nationally, the number of births increased by 1.2% over the past year whilst the number of deaths increased by 1.7%.

The data also shows that all states and territories recorded both positive and increased net overseas migration (NOM) when compared to the previous year. New South Wales recorded the largest numerical increase of 6,700 people or 11.9% and the Australian Capital Territory recorded the smallest numerical and percentage increase at 0.8% or just 23 people. Tasmania recorded the largest percentage increase at 25.3% or 300 people, followed by the Northern Territory at 23.7%.

When compared to the year ended March 2012, all states and territories recorded increases in NOM arrivals. The largest percentage increase was recorded by the Northern Territory at 15.0% or 900 people. The Australian Capital Territory recorded the smallest percentage increase of 3.8% or 320 people.

When compared to the year ended March 2012, increases in NOM departures were recorded for all states and territories, with the largest percentage increase recorded by the Northern Territory at 9.7% or 350 people, followed by Western Australia at 9.2% or 2,700 people. Tasmania recorded the smallest percentage increase of 0.7% or 17 people.

Queensland recorded the highest gains from net interstate migration (NIM) for the year ended March 2013 at 10,300 people, followed by Western Australia at 9,300 people. Other states and territories which recorded net gains were Victoria at 2,800 people and the Australian Capital Territory at 1,900 people.

These figures reiterate everything about the reasons why people chose to move to Australia. If you have done the research and planning your move, white and Company offer a full international removals service, specialising in removals to Australia, Canada, South Africa, and thousands of other destinations. If you require any further information about our services or would like to book your free house survey, contact our international office today on 01489 774907.

Posted in: News, International News

Leave a Comment (0) ↓