Reasons to move to Vancouver:
- Vancouver was ranked the third best city in the world in Mercer’s 2019 quality of living report, factoring in housing, public services, schools and the natural environment.
- The city has no less than nine beaches to choose from (yes, you read that right). When it comes to summer vacations you don’t have to travel far for a spot of sunbathing.
- If you’re looking for an outdoors lifestyle there are plenty of sports to take your pick from and some of the best skiing in North America, having hosted the 2010 Winter Olympics.
Located in beautiful British Columbia, Vancouver is one of Canada’s most popular cities and is often referred to as Rain City or ‘Raincouver’ due to its high rainfall during the winter months.
Don’t let that put you off though. Summer is an all-round hot affair and the city’s closeness to the sea means there are plenty of beaches to sunbathe on in your downtime. Vancouver’s residents love a good festival and in the summer months there is something happening practically every month.
Getting around this city is made easy by a series of compact and highly efficient public transportation options, ranging from the SkyTrain and SeaBus to the safe bike lanes.
The city is also passionate about residents leading healthy lifestyles and there are numerous farmer’s markets, street food eateries and fitness clubs.
A great fashion district centred on Robson Street is also host to a lively arts culture. There are a large variety of malls and shops including the historic and trendy Granville Island Public Market.
The city is a great place to come and make a name for yourself, with a ‘Work hard, chill hard’ motto that sees young Vancouverites work in the skyrises by day but chill in the microbreweries by night.
If you’re considering moving to Vancouver, you’ll be gaining access to a vibrant and happening city set in a beautiful natural environment with friendly neighbours and a high-quality level of living.
Export Packing & Wrapping Service
When the client has accepted the quoted price and a move date has been secured, the vehicle and removal team will arrive at residence.
The removal team will proceed to export pack and wrap all items being transported in special breathable bubble wrap.
Special made-to-measure wooden creates can also be used for difficult to move or fragile items.
Our dedicated team in the UK & Canada will ensure all the relevant paperwork and customs clearance is processed correctly.
They will arrange the unloading and unpacking of your household goods ready for checks or inspections.
Once your belongings have cleared customs, you will be contacted to discuss a convenient time to deliver them if not already agreed.
White & Company offers secure containerised storage facilities via its own depots. We have 19 strategically placed storage facilities throughout the UK to choose from.
Our partners in Canada can also off your storage facilities should you require them.
Insurance For Removals to Vancouver
Despite our best efforts sometimes items get damaged or things go amiss. White & Company always try to minimise problems during the moving process. That’s why we offer limited liability insurance.
Marine insurance is a key consideration when shipping overseas. We recommend you consider protecting your valuable personal possessions while in transit or storage with our ‘All Risk’ Marine Standard Liability cover.
Marine Insurance Cover is offered to you on receipt of a completed Overseas Valuation Form. Such insurance cover is ‘Comprehensive’ and ‘All Risk’ and is based on the values as declared by you on the Overseas Valuation Form.
Moving to Vancouver ? Get a removals quote
- The average house price in Vancouver currently stands at $1,153,758 (£720,000).
- Homes in the city are on the market for an average of 29 days.
Rental costs in Vancouver are 22.7% lower than in London. You can expect to pay CA$1253 (£782) for a one-bedroom apartment close to the city centre.
- Sorting out your accommodation as soon as you arrive in Toronto will be a priority. You can find houses and apartments for rent in most cities in the classifieds section of local newspapers, libraries, and on websites such as Kijiji and Craigslist.
Even though rental costs will be cheaper when compared to London, Vancouver’s rental market continues to show increases.
This is partly due to the high cost of purchasing a home and the introduction of more stringent credit checks when applying for a mortgage, making buying financially out of reach for many.
There certainly are some beautiful homes in the region. Whether you are looking for a home or condo (apartment), the design of homes and the layout of Vancouver is without comparison.
Many homes feature beautiful views of both the mountains and the ocean. Also, many of the homes in the downtown area showcase views of the famous Stanley Park.
For those intending to buy a home you will need to budget for around CA$565,000 for a modern one-bedroom apartment in downtown Vancouver. For a larger 3-bedroom family home in the neighbourhood of Langley you will pay around CA$640,000 (£399,000).
White & Company Provide Removals to Vancouver and all major surrounding locations
- Basic utilities (including electricity, gas and heating) for a studio apartment cost around CA$82 a month (£51).
- Cheaper to live than east coast Canadian cities such as Toronto and Montreal.
- The weekly food shop is 32% dearer in Vancouver than London.
When comparing the cost of living in Vancouver to that of London, there is only one area where you are likely to spend more and that is the weekly food shop.
This is offset somewhat by higher salaries than lots of parts of Canada (just 5% lower than London average) and many other products and services are noticeably cheaper, including childcare, fuel and travel costs.
The city also offers many outdoor activities to enjoy which are inexpensive, and many of which provided are free of charge.
There isn’t a more famous place in Vancouver to bike, jog, walk or rollerblade than Stanley Park’s Seawall. This paved pathway loops around the park and into downtown Vancouver, and includes some of our city’s most beautiful scenery.
- On a percentage basis, British Columbia’s year-over-year employment growth of 4.0% is greater than any other province in Canada and well above the national average (2.3%).
- Vancouver is one of Canada’s largest industrial centres with a current demand for skilled and qualified engineers
- There were over 2.5 million people employed in BC in the second quarter of 2019, almost 100,000 more than the same period last year.
Vancouver is not only a great place to live, but also a great place to work. As a port city it is a major international hub for shipping and industry. Traditional industries across the wider British Columbia region include forestry, mining, agriculture and fishing.
The city of Vancouver has developed a widespread service sector, and the film industry has become a big earner for the metro area. The biotechnology and software industries are also highly advanced and poised to become global players.
The cities’ scenic location also makes it a major tourist destination. Over 10.3 million people visited Vancouver in 2017. Annually, tourism contributes approximately $4.8 billion to the Metro Vancouver economy and supports over 70,000 jobs.
The population is highly educated and as with other countries, employers must prove that they cannot find suitable local candidates before they can look to foreign workers. That said, there are opportunities for those with certain “in demand skills”.
As Vancouver’s economy continues to expand, analysts estimate that there will be a growing need for more overseas professionals in the future suggesting now is a great time to move to Vancouver.
- There are eleven school districts in the Metro Vancouver area and placement at a public school is dependent on a child’s location within a school’s catchment area.
- You cannot register your children in a public school unless you have your “Confirmation of Landing or Permanent Residency”.
- There are five public universities in the Greater Vancouver area, the largest being the University of British Columbia which ranks among the 40 best universities in the world.
The Greater Vancouver area offers amazing flexibility and choice when it comes to expat children.
Canada offers free education up to the undergraduate level, including for expats who are permanent residents or those who are in Canada on a work visa.
The Vancouver school district is large, urban and multicultural.
As of 2019, the district provides programs to over 54,000 students in kindergarten to grade 12, as well as over 2,000 adults in adult education programs.
Removals To Vancouver
- Weekly removals services to Canada with full load consignments that take your belongings direct from point A to B or part loads that are delivered shortly after your arrival.
- Shipping can take anything from 8 to 12 weeks. From arrival at port in Vancouver to the additional time taken for the clearing of customs and quarantine.
- Storage offered either at our secure facilities based in the UK or through our industry partners in Canada.
Now that you’ve hopefully decided to settle down and move to Vancouver it’s time to figure out how to get there.
Canada has long been the expat destination of choice with thousands making the move each year.
During this time White & Company has positioned itself as the international removals firm of choice for all Removals to Canada.
To find out more about how we could get your dream move to Canada underway don’t hesitate to give us a call today.
Alternatively fill out a quick quote form or chat to our Bot and we’ll get in touch with you straight away.
Whether you choose public or independent schools, or a religious affiliated establishment, there will be a school which suits your child. It is important to note that apart from public schooling, all other schools will have to be paid for and demand can outstrip supply.
There are fantastic post-secondary options such as the highly regarded University of British Columbia, Simon Fraser University, and the Emily Carr Institute of Art & Design, as well as a host of community and speciality colleges.
What Others Say…
Wayne Middleton and Brian Witherford were professional and extremely helpful. Did a brilliant job. Would recommend Whites to anyone. Thanks very much.
Have used this company regularly for 5 years including my time in the armed forces. They are professional and efficient. Will use them again on our next move.
The move went very smoothly and they were very polite.
A very smooth move by White and Co. The team worked very hard and were polite, professional and helpful.