At some point in our lives we will all have sent or received something to or from overseas via shipping. As international shipping is such a massive industry, we’ve compiled a list of some of some little known facts regarding overseas shipping that may be of interest to you.
- In a year’s worth of sailing, the average container ship covers the distance equivalent to a journey ¾ of the way to the moon and back.
- 90% of the world’s trade is carried out by the international shipping industry. If we didn’t have shipping a large percentage of us would starve.
- There are more than 55,000 merchant ships trading all over the world, the entire worlds fleet is registered by 150 different nations worldwide.
- It takes around 1.5million seafarers to staff the worlds international shipping fleet, in countries the world over.
- Overseas shipping is a very minor contributor to marine pollution in comparison to land based industries, and is the least environmentally damaging form of commercial transport.
- The most highly contributing factor to CO2 emissions in the industry is by aeroplanes. They emit significantly more CO2 than plane or even the large amount of lorries.
- On average, the engines on a container ship are 1000 times more powerful than that of a standard car.
- The cost of building a container ship is around £120million
- The commonly used 40ft shipping container is around 200 cubic feet, and can be used to transport domestic items such as furniture and other contents roughly the size of a 4-5 bedroom house.
We hope you found something interesting from our list of facts. If you would like any advice on international shipping or overseas removals, please give us a call.