Dreaming of A Place in the Sun Greece
Dreaming of a place in the Sun Greece; it’s almost everyone dream to find a place in the sun and for many people Greece is the ideal place to relocate. There are over 45,000 expats living in Greece and for many living in Athens is the only choice, while others are drawn to islands such as Crete, Corfu, Rhodes or Skopelos.
If you are considering a move to Greece, it is essential to do your research so that you can avoid any costly issues.
Before you go ahead and make the move, you should make sure that you have:
- Researched your destination, and the local customs and laws
- Obtained independent legal advice
- Researched the tax regulations
- Made plans for your health cover
Once you have taken the decision to relocate to Greece, you will undoubtedly need to enlist the services of an international moving company to ship your goods overseas and to help manage your move. White & Company can provide a top- quality and efficient removal service to any international destination and as founder members of BAR, FIDI and Omni, you can rest assured your move will be in safe hands.
White & Company is the proud winner of the 2016 British Association of Removers ‘Overseas Mover of the Year’ Competition and finalists in the 2017 competition, reinforcing the high level of service they provide to all their customers.
Founded in 1871, they are one of the UK’s largest international moving companies:
White & Company Removals Storage & Shipping
Tel: 01489 854 286 for a free moving quote
Mon 09:00 – 17:00
Tue 09:00 – 17:00
Wed 09:00 – 17:00
Thu 09:00 – 17:00
Fri 09:00 – 17:00
Sat 09:00 – 12:00
A Place in the Sun Greece – About Greece
Greece is attributed to being the centre of Western civilisation, with its archaeological ruins, beautiful beaches and over 3,000 islands. This idyllic picture of Greece contrasts starkly with a country that continues to struggle with the 2010 debt crisis and austerity measures imposed upon it. Unemployment is high and jobs are scarce for everyone, including expats.
All expats considering moving to Greece should consider the unstable state of the economy and the weakened employment market. The tourist industry in Greece is still strong and many expats also find employment here or in teaching English.
A Place in the Sun Greece – Buying a Property in Greece
Finding accommodation is relatively easy for expats with real estate being lower than it has been for a number of years. It is definitely a buyer’s market, although expats would be well advised to hire a local real estate agent or mesitis.
Expats looking to stay in Greece for a short period of time will want to consider renting a property. Legally, residential lease agreements have to cover a minimum of three years. Normally, the longer the lease, the lower the monthly rent.
As a guide, in Athens, monthly rents per sq. metre range from around €7 to €10.5 per sq. metre according to Global Property Guide. In Crete, monthly rents per sq. metre for apartments range from around €4 to €6 per sq. m. Approximately three fourths of the Greeks are homeowners.
Here is a list of property agents in Greece:
Enlisting the help of a good property agent will ensure that you get the best possible value for money. Inside knowledge of the area and local property market trends along with an English speaking agent will certainly assist in getting your ideal place in the sun.
- Dreamcatchers Crete – Independent Property Agent – www.dreamcatchers-crete.com/
- Kritiko Ethos Kalives Real Estate – kritiko-ethos.com
- Lefkas Property and Development – pandev.net
- CorfuProperties.com – corfuproperties.com
- Ktimatoemporiki Crete – ktimatoemporiki.gr
- Skopelos Property – skopelosproperty.com
- Skiathos Property – skiathosproperty.com
A Place in the Sun Greece – Education and Schools in Greece
The schooling system in Greece is divided into three levels:
- Primary education (Demotiko) – six years
- Junior high school (Gymnasio) – three years
- Senior high school (Lykeion) – three years
The school year in Greece is generally divided as follows:
- Christmas term: early September to late December
- Easter term: early January to early April
- Summer term: late April to late June
There are a number of international schools in Greece, most of which are situated in Athens, offering a British curriculum or the International Baccalaureate (IB). The following site has a selection of international schools: www.expat-quotes.com/guides/
A Place in the Sun Greece – Greek Superstitions
Greeks are hugely superstitious. Here’s a small selection of traditions, which you may find helpful:
- The pomegranate is a symbol of happiness, prosperity and fertility. Bring one when visiting friends in their new home, or on New Year’s Eve. It is customary to smash it on their doorstep when you arrive.
- Don’t hand someone a knife as it may predetermine conflict between you and the person you pass the knife to.
- Never let your shoes lie sole-side up, as it’s a symbol of bad luck and is sometimes seen as an omen of impending death.
- It’s considered very unlucky to propose a toast when drinking water or coffee.
- Don’t fall asleep under a cypress tree – it’s considered unlucky as the tree is thought to steal your mind!
A Place in the Sun Greece – Currency Conversion
When moving overseas, making sure you get the best exchange rate possible is essential to starting your new life on a sound footing. White & Company has an exclusive arrangement with an FX Firm (foreign exchange company). Simply follow the link below to see what additional monies you will receive compared to using your high street bank and to set up a free no obligation account. White and Company/foreign-exchange
Whether you need to arrange monthly payments to service an overseas mortgage, or wish to protect yourself against exchange rate fluctuations and fix the rate for up to a year, we will be able to suggest the most suitable way to do so. Open your free, no obligation account in as long as it takes to stop for a coffee.
White & Company Have Branches In The Following Locations
To read independent reviews from our customers visit Referenceline
Posted in: News, Bournemouth-Poole News, Knaresborough News, Dunfermline News, Farnborough News, Forres News, Guernsey News, Harrogate-York News, Jersey News, Kempston-Bedford News, Lancaster News, Leeds News, Plymouth News, Portsmouth News, Southampton News, Telford News, London News, Winchester News, International NewsLeave a Comment (0) ↓